My experience on Growth Mindset

Before I got offered a place in the course that I'm doing now, I had an extremely fixed mindset when it came to secondary school work and exams. I almost always failed at my classes and had disappointing teacher/parent meetings to the point that my mam stopped going to them because they would always say the same things. Teachers would always express disappointment in my grades and whenever I did slightly better than before it was never good enough. Looking back on it now, I don't really miss secondary school because of how much I didn't like it. I hated the grades system and I hated their negative feedback! Going to college was probably the best decision I have ever made, I feel like I have more control over my assignments and projects, the feedback I get helps me improve extremely and I don't want to give up when it comes to a challenge because I can do things my way instead of having to follow something by the book like secondary schools teach. 



I never really heard of Carol Dweck before but I agree with her completely when she mentions that teachers / parents should praise and reward our process instead of giving criticism. This criticism breaks our hearts and makes us think that we're not good enough for certain subjects and we end up running away instead of facing challenges. I'm all about theory and psychology as I did an Applied Psychology course after I finished school because I wanted to study something that interested me and not something that I HAD to study. I think it all depends on the person and whether they like what they're doing in life or they're doing it because they have to. When it comes to my personal life I love reading in my spare time and I find challenging books interesting because I can learn new words and use them in my assignments / projects. I see fixed mindsets all around me and it's normal to feel that way but after going to college I'm definitely going to embrace a challenge when it throws itself at me. 

Carol Dweck states "In the growth mindset, failure can be a painful experience. But it doesn't define you. It's a problem to be faced, dealt with, and learned from." (Dweck, 2020) Are we even human if we don't complain about something that's a little too challenging for us?

Since I just started my second year of college I am kind of worried if this online aspect will limit us when it comes to challenging tasks. Being stuck at home during a pandemic and being careful when it comes to meeting other students for group work will be annoying but we're just going to have to work around it! I am sceptical about filming as I've never really done it before but in first year I said the same thing about other modules and it turned out better than I expected. I'm very excited about what this year will have in store for us. After reading articles about Growth Mindset and listening to Carol Dwecks TED talk I feel like I need some sort of positive mindset and I will incorporate that in all my modules. I mean 2020 really did a number on us so why not?

-Anna Zurawska

I'm calling you out Secondary School teachers 

(you can also click on the image to see the source)

Quote referenced from article you can find  HERE

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Introduction to Frodo (and me)

The components of Game Design

Game Design Document