Game Brainstorm : The Beginning

Archery 3d 

Having the ability to use a bow and an arrow during an action packed video game is incredibly enjoyable. I recently finished Assassin's creed Odyssey and that was mostly the weapon I used in stealthy situations. Recently a lot of video games have added bows as one of their primary weapons: Horizon zero dawn, The last of us, Far Cry etc.. I feel like a fun archery game that is filled with targets moving around would be a perfect start. I would like to learn the mechanics of building weapons and the ability to use them in my game. I would also like the player to finish shooting as many targets as possible within a set time frame. I don't really know my limit with games like this but 5-10 levels with each one getting harder than the last would be unbelievable. The location would be a desert with dead trees and bushes and a mountain in the background because for some reason when I think of archery I think of the desert. I would also like to put in random fencing with bottles on top of it which you can also interact with! I don't want the player to be limited with just the target. I feel like for the best possible game experience, the player can shoot at whatever object without having the arrow disappear. I want bottles smashing into little pieces if that's even possible or to make it easier for myself I just want them to get pushed instead like the boxes in the first Unity Tutorial. When I was researching this game idea I came across a lot of archery games that have been made with Unity like this one here! There's also plenty of Youtube Tutorials which can help me in my work when it comes to inspiration.  Here is another Archery3d game I came across on Github that can help me in terms of designing the game. I also want some sort of music in the background whether it's a desert theme and I want the ability to have some sort of sound coming out of the bow!



Bobblehead Goal Keeper

I don't know how I came up with this idea but it seems fun and hopefully easy to do! I used to always play Wii Sports as a child and I loved creating my character on the game console. That's the type of character I want to go for when creating this game, a bobblehead that can move it's head left and right but not its body. I don't really know which direction I want the goalpost to be, maybe behind the player? I want a big cannon moving around that fires footballs. I just want the background to be a plain soccer pitch nothing too crazy. I want the footballs to be coming faster and faster every 30 seconds and I want a counter on the side of the screen to show how many footballs have been saved by the goalkeeper. A bronze, silver and a gold medal for a certain amount of footballs that have been blocked would be interesting. I want a few options for the bobblehead, I want a normal looking bobblehead and I also want a really ugly looking one. Or maybe they don't have faces? Who knows. I have an example of a bobblehead from Wii Sports here . I haven't found that many similar games but here is a game that looks like something I want to make! Here is a simple soccer game tutorial on Youtube that is made with Unity which will be very handy if I want to make changes in the future and would like to make an interactive game instead. This is just a basic idea and I can always make changes to it if possible but I find my game idea pretty funny and I would like to create something like this as it sounds very unique!

3D Sphere

I've seen a lot of these types of games done in Unity during my research of different ideas. I feel like I want to take it on myself because there's a lot of help involved and I don't want to make something incredibly difficult for myself. My plan for this 3d Sphere game starts with a curvy pathway with obstacles in the way. I don't want the obstacles to just be there though, I want them to move and I want my sphere bouncing off of them so the path is difficult for the player to move around. Maybe some type of pushing mechanics on the obstacles every couple of seconds so the player has to get their movement perfectly timed. I don't really know if I want my sphere to bounce as well when the player hits the space button but that would be a good idea . I want the background to be a simple mountain or a cluster of green hills. The curvy path can be grassy and there could be water pools which the player can't get out of if they get stuck in one. I found a tutorial that is linked here  on an individual making a pathway and a sphere which I will find helpful in terms of my project. Here is a tutorial on how to make a ball roll. In order to make my background I researched a bunch of youtube clips and here is one I found where she takes google images and puts them into Unity! There are a couple of articles which I find very useful - here is one that gives you a step by step on how to make a 3d ball game! During my research of the previous game ideas I couldn't find that many useful links so If I do this one I will have a better understanding of what to do. 




Parkour game

I grew up playing Crash Bandicoot on my PS1 but I would constantly ask my cousin to help me with the difficult parts. The river levels would always get to me especially when the water lillies began to sink after you've stood in one for too long. I'm inspired by that level so I was thinking of having a path that collapses after you. I want to be able to learn how to do a human form on unity, I know it's possible but I don't know how I would be able to recreate one. Maybe a shape instead of a car would be much easier? I just like the concept of unstable pathways and the player would have to jump from one block to another. This is the crash bandicoot level that I was talking about. Parkour is extremely popular because people tend to recreate them in games such as Minecraft, Garry's Mod etc.. I want the player to be able to see the character because I feel like it's easier when you know where you're positioning yourself in third person. I know a lot of parkour games are in first person but I don't know how it would look like in terms of Unity as I have no experience. So far we've dealt with cars and planes on the tutorials so I'm hoping that in the future it will go into more detail and I will know how to move around humans forms? Here is a first person parkour game that has been done on Unity. Here is a video on a third person moving shape which I feel like I want to go for to make my life a bit easier. Maybe a pathway that has been broken and its collapsing behind you and you would also have to jump from one platform to another. I feel like it's a good start to a big project in my opinion! 

Comments

  1. I really like the idea in the archery game about having bottles break into small pieces, I feel like that would give great immersion into your game, and as you said you don't want the arrows just disappearing, which makes complete sense as it would take the player out of the game, this idea sounds like you could implement alot of easter eggs.
    I wonder if it would be possible for you to create a 2 player mode for your football game which would allow one player to shoot the football and the other player be in goal, if you could do this it would make the game much more competitive.
    In relation to the 3D sphere game, what if you added something kind of like a piston, that could be timed to push the ball into water, it would also mean that players would have to learn timings in the game and they could become faster as the game goes on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are very cool idea's which I think will be great to see put into practice. I'm looking forward to having a chance to play the parkour game and being able to jump from one platform to another. The links for your examples are also a very good touch to this post as now I can see what you're talking about and link it back to your own words. I hope I can get to play them soon enough myself as these are some really good ideas. I hope you do well in your projects too. Enoh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Anna,
    Great blog it didn't make me fall asleep so great start, just kidding!!!! You came up with some really great game ideas that seem very achievable within our time frame for the assignment. I really like the idea of a parkour game, from reading blogs over the past few weeks I've never read anything about a parkour game, so I think you have a 1 of 1 idea on your hands. Anyway with whatever game you decide to go with I hope and the end of all this, you'll be able to sit down and play a game that you designed and you feel very proud of yourself, good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Anna I really like you bubblehead goalkeeper it really interests me how you came up with the idea from Wii Sports I done a similar thing with a game idea looking at a game from a different perspective .I also like that the game is really original I haven’t heard of a game like that before. I wonder though why a cannon shooting the footballs wouldn’t you try make a person do it I guess you can explain it later but it’s just a thought. What if you made the bubblehead a bit of a ragdoll so its harder to control like qwop you could make each limb be controlled making it more of challenge for the player or you could make him a proper ragdoll and control him with the mouse but still making him rigid enough so he stands by himself this would make gameplay more comical because the bubblehead wouldn’t move like a normal person and would struggle getting the ball .

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

An Introduction to Frodo (and me)

The components of Game Design

Game Design Document