Steer Clear - "Alpha"

Hi everyone!

This week I started on making my level and I have to say I'm very satisfied with the layout that I've created. I was brainstorming on how I was going to go about it and I wrote some things down on a piece of paper as well as drawing out my path. I decided to give up on my search of working jump and speed pads even though I spent a long time trying different codes. I'm pretty sure I watched every single youtube video there is as well as searching it up on google. Every single page is outlined in purple when I search up "Jump pad Unity". 



I tried my best with the camera movements. I wanted to implement rotation with the arrow / WASD keys because when I was doing the previous unity challenge with the footballs the camera mechanics were exactly what I wanted. I put in the scripts on my player and on the camera but nothing really worked. The camera was inside my sphere half the time and I didn't know how to fix it, I think it's something to do with my player controller but I'm not really a genius at this coding so I left it as is. 

I was looking through the assets store because I wanted to see if there were some prefab obstacles and I found a perfect one which made me feel like I won the lottery (no joke). These are the obstacles that I found, THEY MOVE!!!! Since my jump and speed pads were an ultimate failure I decided to get rid of them so I started making the level with the obstacle pack provided.  I built a little bit of my level and I play tested it a bunch of times, I also made a respawn script so when the player falls off the map, it respawns the player to the beginning of the game so they can have another go at it. I don't want to put in checkpoints as I want the level to be as frustrating as possible. The last thing I did was putting in more trees, grass, rocks, mushrooms etc around the pathway to make it less plain. 

level nearly finished maybe?
-Anna Zurawska


Comments

  1. Hi Anna,
    Your game is very nicely coming along, I am very impressed! Imma hit you up for a few tips seeing how smoothly you're going about this...I remember playing the red ball game on the old mobile phones, so this brought back a little nostalgia lol.. I like how there is going to be different levels as well.. will the difficulty differ depending on the level?
    This also reminds me of Minecraft Skyblock lol...but flatter.
    You got some parkour there too.. nice touch.
    I will definitely be trying out your game when it is complete, and I look forward to that.
    Well done, Allah Bless, and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Anna,
    Great work your game has seemed to come along really well, I can tell you got stressed at some points through out the process because something as small as finding a new asset made you feel like you won the lottery haha. I've said this in a lot of the comments I've left on project blogs, when people say they're having a hard time finding good, free assets and only finding one's they have to pay for, I always say go through the unity folders we had to download from the tutorials each week and use them, then you can watch the video on how to code objects in and out of place etc.. I've never played Minecraft but I've seen pictures and your game has a certain resemblance to the pictures I've seen, was it inspiration at all when making you game. Best of luck with the game!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ania, I read your OG post about your game a few weeks ago and I loved your game! I still do it's such a good idea! I read all the posts up to this and wow, I'm impressed! It's obvious you've put a lot of work into the game! I really enjoy your writing because you describe everything really well. adding levels is so cool, it really makes it feel like a professional game. Do you know how many levels you plan on adding? I used to play games like this, they were my favourite! The colours in the level are amazing, I think they really stand out! I really enjoyed it overall, I’m looking forward to it being completed and hopefully I will be able to play it! Best of luck! -Megan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Anna!
    I really love your game! It looks really attractive and I would love to try to play your game if I have the chance! You also did a lot of research on your game and I think it is worth it because you were able to find an obstacle assets that you like and you can code it as well. You have also explained everything on this blog perfectly and it is very informative!! You should also be proud of the work that you have done in your game because you really deserve it! I am wondering how many level you think you will get done before this semester ends? Before I leave your blog, I just want to say that your game design asset looks to nice!

    Best of luck in your last week of this semester. Hope that you enjoyed this semester!

    -Flosie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anna!
    Your game is very nice, well done!! I can see you are putting a lot of work in your game!
    I hope you can get the camera to work just like you wanted it to ~fingers crossed
    Do you already know how many levels you plan on adding to the game?
    Lovely colours, it made the game very attractive!
    Looking forward to watch you game trailer >.< and best of luck on these last days of semester 1 :D
    Lívia Alencar

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anna! Your game is looking insane I love it! I hope you give me a chance to play it sometime. Are you going to be adding more levels to your game or is there just the one? If you need help with the W S A D movements let me know as I got them working for my game. Well the A and D but surely W and S would be similar haha. I also like how you automatically respawn when you fall off the map but maybe a menu could come up and it could give the player an option to retry if they want to play some more or even quit if they've had enough or something. Great game Anna keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

An Introduction to Frodo (and me)

The components of Game Design

Game Design Document