Week 9 - Reading and Writing

When I first started on the reading tasks I didn't really know much about academic writing or reading. I kept doing them first because if I left them till the last minute I would freak out. I kept going back and forth through synonyms when writing my blog to make my writing appear more professional because I thought academic writing was all about professionalism. I was wrong entirely when we started doing the reading tasks together as a class. I feel like the progress is getting much better since we figured it out as a group and our lecturer was extremely helpful. He understood that it was our first time doing the academic writing so I took a lot from the Monday lectures. 
My favourite reading so far was probably the first one: The components of game design. You can tell that my academic writing was a bit too much but I had fun trying to figure out how to go about the assignment. During the blog comments I was looking at students academic writing and I had a feeling we were all struggling with it. I kept trying to summarise every single article but if the article was too long I was stuck on what to do next. The reading tasks are helping me with my project especially the one on the game design document. If it weren't for those articles I would have probably given up. I think i'm confident enough to continue with my reading tasks alone for next time because I have an idea on how to go about it. Our lecturer told us to use "who, what, where, when, how" in our academic writings so it's constantly in my head when I'm doing them.



So far my game project is extremely simple and I'm going to have to spend a long time trying to find assets suitable for me. I don't think my game is extremely unique, looking back on previous students examples I think I will make my location way more vibrant with grassy textures and trees. Right now I'm coding the camera movements and angles so they've been perfected so afterwards it's easier for me to test my own levels.
My biggest accomplishment for this class has got to be my determination to finish every single task. I'm always ahead with my tasks because I do the next weeks task the week before so it's easier to focus on other modules. That's probably my advice to everyone doing this module: If you have time, get it done because you'll feel way better about yourself when you have the weekend off to relax. I really like this module and I love the way you can easily get an A by interacting with the tasks. The website is really well made and I love how it's easily accessible to all.

Looking forward I will probably practice my academic writing. I have an idea how to go about them because of the Monday lectures and I've written down a few notes on how to handle them weekly. I can't wait to perfect my academic writing so in the future when I'm doing my masters I feel proud on what I wrote! 

-Anna Zurawska

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Introduction to Frodo (and me)

The components of Game Design

Game Design Document